Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dancer in the Dark

For those of you who haven't seen the movie Dancer in the Dark, I suggest you watch it. It's an amazing film, for many many reasons. Sure there are scenes where everyone busts out in song and dance, but that just add's to the movie. It is a very sad story and I cry every time I watch it. I am posting a clip of the first musical scene of the movie. Don't be scared to watch it just because it's sortof a musical. Give it a chance. It's a great flick!

"The film is set in Washington state in 1964 and focuses on Selma Ježková (Björk), a Czech immigrant who has moved to the United States with her son, Gene Ježková (Kostic). They live a life of poverty as Selma works at a factory with her good friend Kathy, who she nicknames Cvalda (Deneuve). She rents a trailer home on the property of town policeman Bill Houston (Morse) and his wife Linda Houston (Seymour). She is also pursued by the shy but persistent Jeff (Stormare) who also works at the factory.
What no one in Selma's life knows is that she has a hereditary degenerative disease, which is gradually causing her to go blind. She has been saving up every penny that she makes (in a tin can in her kitchen) to pay for an operation which will prevent her young son from the same fate.
To escape the misery of her daily life Selma accompanies Cvalda to the local cinema where together they watch fabulous Hollywood musicals (or more accurately, Selma listens as Cvalda describes them to her (to the aggravation of the other theater patrons) or acts out the dance steps upon Selma's hand using her fingers.) In her day-to-day life, when things are too boring or upsetting, Selma slips into daydreams or perhaps a trance-like state where she imagines the ordinary circumstances and individuals around her have erupted into elaborate musical theater numbers. These songs, as do many of Björk's songs, use some sort of real life noise (from factory machines buzzing to the sound of a flag rapping against a flag pole in the wind) as an underlying rhythm."

I had to stop there because if I posted any more of the review you would know everything that happens and it would totally spoil the movie for y'all!

Dancer in the dark recieved the Palme d'Or, award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000 along with Bjork winning the best actress award. The song I've seen it all was nominated for an Oscar for best song, at the performance of which Björk wore her famous swan dress.

3 comments:

E said...

I know that you have mentioned this flick to me before, and I keep meaning to check it out because Catherine Deneuve is the Queen of Hotness. I will make it a priority to see it soooooooon! Then we can chat about it! YEAH!

Jay-Me-Dee said...

I seem to remember you giving me this speech a few years back...and I watched it with you!

Erin-Dot-D said...

And, I hope you liked it!