Thursday, May 7, 2009

Calling all tattoos?

I love tattoos.
I love how creative and original people want to be when they get a tattoo.
I love the stories, the memories, the art and beauty that goes into every tattoo.

Do you have any tattoos?
What are they?
Where are they?
Why did you get them?
Please feel free to send pictures to my email address. Perhaps if I get enough, I can do a blog post about everyones tattoo and story...
Here are mine!

This is a vegvisir, a Nordic compass. It means "direction sign" or "see the way". It was used by vikings to prevent them from getting lost when they went out to sea, or to battle. It's magic :) Todays interpretation is more about not losing yourself, or always knowing who you are. It's on my back, just below my neck. I got itat Lucky 13 Tattoos on Bloor St. W in Toronto, in 2007 with my best friend Erinne.

This tattoo says I carry my joy, it's from a Bjork song "Who is it". I just loved the lyrics, "carry my joy on the left, carry my pain on the right...." I went through hundreds of fonts and found this one, I really like it. As you can tell, this tattoo is on the inside of my left wrist, I got it done at Lucky 13 Tattoos on Bloor St. W in Toronto, 2006 on a whim.

A few days later, I went out and got the second tattoo, I walked around with bandages on my wrists, I got some strange looks from the gals I taught skating with in the dressing room. "uh are you ok Erin?" I'm like ok everyone, before I get any questions or comments, I got tattoos on my wrists! NO I'm not suicidal. Also done at Lucky 13 tattoos on Bloor St. W in Toronto in 2006

The one I'm so glad I can hide the easiest. My love for tattoos started when I was in grade 10. So by the time I was 16 I had convinced my mother to let me get one. What did I get? This retarded sun. People, what you think is awesome at the age of 16, you might not think is awesome at the age of 29. But whatev's, it's super easy to hide, and it makes me laugh whenever I see it. I've been trying to think of something to cover it up with for years...but I'm still unsure. Eventually I will figure it out. I think I totally want a half sleeve, but maybe I won't want it anymore in 10 years, decisions decisions. This tattoo is on my upper arm, I got it done in Oromocto, New Brusnwick at Red Lion Tattoos, in er, 1996.

5 comments:

Chele said...

I got 6 tattoos all with their own story and I love them all so much, hmmm I should blog about them huh?
I have a red fish, viking runes, buddhist mantra, a sun, thai numbers and the symbol for pisces

Erin-Dot-D said...

OOOh lala, you defs should blog about them, I would love to see pictures!

that girl possessed said...

i have 5... cherry blossoms, swallow with latin writing, a heart, a butterfly and a margaret atwood quote.

i still LOVE your wrist ones so much!

Erin-Dot-D said...

I'd like to see all of your tattoos Rhianne, i think I only knew about the hear and the quote. wtf. show me
p.s. thanks

Anonymous said...

Not to spoil your tattoo, but the Vegvísir wasn't used by Vikings, but later in Iceland. Found in the Huld Manuscript.