Saturday, November 1, 2008

La Vie!

Well it's been a while since I've actually said anything on my blog, just been posting funny stuff or whatever.

So the scoop is, I work for an insurance company in Calgary, it's pretty decent, kind of old school, way different than you would expect for a big company, but I realise that things are growing in the west so things are very new in many ways. Hmmmm, there's a lot of room for me to jump in and take charge I guess, but not a lot of motivation I suppose in a lot of ways. People out here DO NOT like change. Which can be rough, but there's a big demand. So I suppose it's a matter of approaching things in a certain way...not in the way like "I'm a Toronto snob and things should be done this way" I'm not a Toronto snob, I'm not from Toronto, and it doesnt mean that all T.O folks are snobs, but heck, since I've been here, I've realised and felt the "toronto is The centre of the earth mentality"

I've always gotten it. But now in the workplace I feel it, and see it. 2 of our depts at work are being closed down and moved to the Toronto location, fundraising initiatives are Ontario/Toronto focused, etc. Right now we are doing a ton of United Way fundraising, and when your head office (Toronto) organizes the auction items and they are Leafs tickets, and raptors tickets as the 10 big ticket and ONLY items, how many westerners do you expect to bid on them. etc. Just a minute example, but a major way you can shunt your doners from the west coast. There's nothing cool going on in our office of over 100 people.

That's it for now

Oh p.s.
Happy Halloween.
My departments (5 people) mini putt course won best hole. It was my coworker Tanya and I who designed it, and did a kick ass job at doing so. Our prize? Bragging rights. That sucked, I'm going to join the social comittee or something cause then I can help organize more fun events, they need to spice things up a bit....GOOD thing I work in the business development dept, (MARKETING) cause I'm going to bring out some ideas, they might even be good ones :)

No comments: