The Saint John River:
Is a river, approximately 418 mi (673 km) long, located in the Canadian province of New Brunswick and the U.S. state of Maine. It forms part of the Canada-US border in two places along its length. The river drains an area of approximately 55,000 km², of which slightly more than half is located in New Brunswick.
The Saint John is also the second longest river on North America's Atlantic coastline (between the St. Lawrence River and the Mississippi River). Only the Susquehanna is longer. The lower section of the River from Fredericton to Saint John is nicknamed the Rhine of North America,[citation needed] in reference to its popularity for recreational boating.
Mactaquac Dam:
The Mactaquac Damn is a hydroelectric dam on the Saint John River built and owned by NB Power. It has a capacity of 672 Megawatts with its 6 turbines. It is located about 20minutes drive west of Fredericton, New Brunswick. It began operation in 1968, and the headpond that was created extends 100 km upstream to the town of Woodstock, New Brunswick. King's Landing Historical Settlement was built using buildings that had to be moved prior to filling the headpond.
It is currently experiencing a problem of expanding concrete. When built, greywacke which was mined nearby was used as the aggregate and it is responsible for the expanding. Currently the dam is being monitored, and extra work is being done to maintain the dam. It is expected to have a reduced life expectancy due to this.
It is also the site of an Altantic Salmon Fish Hatchery.
The Bay of Fundy: (French: Baie de Fundy) is a bay on the Atlantic coast of North America, on the northeast end of the Gulf of Maine between the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with a small portion touching the U.S. state of Maine. The Bay of Fundy is known for its high tidal range and the bay is contested as having the highest vertical tidal range in the world with Ungava Bay in northern Quebec and The Severn Estuary in the UK. The name "Fundy" is thought to date back to the 16th century when the Portuguese referred to the bay as "Rio Fundo" or "deep river".
The bay was also named Baie François by explorer/cartographer Samuel de Champlain during a 1604 expedition led by Pierre Dugua, Sieur de Monts which resulted in a failed settlement attempt on St. Croix Island.
Grand Manan Island:
SETTLEMENT "Manan" is a corruption of MUN AN OOK or MAN AN OOK - meaning "island place" or "the island" from the Maliseet-Passamaquoddy-Penobscot Indians who visited the island from spring until fall when the treacherous waters were navigable in their canoes. Most believe that they fished, harvested dulse and birds' eggs, hunted seals, seabirds and harbour porpoises, and returned to the mainland in winter since no large game was on the island and there were few opportunities to fish or hunt marine life. The Norse are probably the first Europeans to visit Grand Manan, possibly as a headquarters while exploring both Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine. Other important events were as follows:
1000 - Norse explorers probably visited the island.
1498 - Sebastien Cabot and 1501 - Gaspar Cortereal likely saw Grand Manan.
1504 - Breton fishermen probably fished bounteous waters around Grand Manan.
1558 - Portuguese map of North America shows cape of many islands including those of Passamaquoddy and Grand Manan.
1583 - Trading voyage to the "Bay of Menan" by Stephen Bellinger.
1606 - Samuel Champlain sheltered on White Head Island during March storm.
1613 - Champlain produced map calling island Manthane which he later corrected to Menane or Menasne; Grand was added later.
1693 - Grand Manan granted to Paul Dailleboust, Sieur de Perigny as part of New France but he did not take possession and it reverted to the Crown.
1713 - Island granted to British in Treaty of Utrecht, but still claimed by United States for nearly a century afterwards.
1779 - First white child born to Joel Bonney and his wife but family remained only a year before leaving with two other families.
1784 - First permanent settlement of 50 United Empire Loyalist families, led by Moses Gerrish, and settling on small island forming eastern side of Grand Harbour, later named Ross Island in honour of settler Thomas Ross. Community had little capital and interest from the outside.
1803 - Seal Cove settled.
1817 - U.S. gave Grand Manan to the British in exchange for islands Dudley, Frederick and Moose (now site of Eastport, Maine).
1851 - Population of 1,187 mostly working in efficient, prosperous fishery.
1854 - Grand Manan incorporated as a Parish.
1880s- Population peaked at 2,616 but began decline as herring stocks were depleted. Communities were North Head, Centreville, Woodward's Cove, Grand Harbour, Ingalls Head, Seal Cove, Deep Cove, White Head, Wood Island, Dark Harbour.
1899 - Centreville (previously Sinclairville) renamed Castalia.
1944 - Board of Trade was founded with the prime goal of improving the ferry service.
1950s- Residents moved from Wood Island, some floating their homes to Seal Cove.
1966 - North Head and Seal Cove/Deep Cove incorporated as villages.
1967 - Woodward's Cove became Local Service District. Grand Manan Museum completed in Grand Harbour as a Canada Bicentennial Project. Grand Manan Curling Club opened.
1968 - Grand Harbour/Ingalls Head incorporated as village.
1969 - Castalia which includes Dark Harbour became Local Service District.
1978 - Grand Manan Tourism Association founded.
1979 - The Grand Manan Rotary Club was organized and remains the only active service club on the island. Board of Trade reactivated after a brief lapse as the Chamber of Commerce.
1984 - 200th anniversary and celebration of the United Empire Loyalist settlement.
1995 - Five communities amalgamated into Municipality of Grand Manan, excluding White Head.
1996 - All buildings given individual addresses and streets named as part of the provincial 911 emergency service.
1998 - Grand Manan Museum addition completed.
Today, fishing remains the major occupation, but small wooden dories and skiffs, and fibreglass vessels are still built here. Tourism is increasing in importance but visitors spend less time than in the past when it was not unusual for guests to stay several weeks or months. Summer homes remain popular (54% of the island is owned by non-residents).
St. Stephen: (2001 pop.: 4,667) is a
Canadian town in
Charlotte County,
New Brunswick.
The town is situated on the east bank of the
St. Croix River at
45°11′32″N, 67°16′38″W.
The river and surrounding area was first explored by the
French explorer,
Samuel de Champlain when he and his men spent a winter there in
1604. Officially incorporated as a town in
1871, five years later St. Stephen's business district was almost totally destroyed by fire when eighty buildings and 13 wharves burned. The population of St. Stephen has declined 5.9% since 1996.
The St. Croix River marks a section of the
international boundary between the
United States and
Canada, forming a natural border between the towns on either side of the river bank.
Calais, Maine (pop. 3,447) is connected to St. Stephen by a bridge, which is the eleventh most important link between the world's two largest
trading partners.[
citation needed]
New Brunswick visitor information centre in St. Stephen's former
Canadian Pacific Railway station.
Residents of St. Stephen and Calais regard their community as one place, cooperating in their fire departments and other community projects. As evidence of the longtime friendship between the towns, during the
War of 1812, the
British military provided St. Stephen with a large supply of
gunpowder for protection against the enemy Americans in Calais, but the town elders gave the gunpowder to Calais for its
Fourth of July celebrations.
Historically a lumber and ship building economy until the early part of the 1900s, by the end of
World War II the town's main employers were the
Ganong Bros. Limited chocolate company (established
1873, Canada's oldest candy company), and the second largest textile mill in Canada built in
1882 on the river where it operated with its own hydro-electric generating station. In 1957, the textile mill closed but the confectionery maker remains a key employer.
A hotbed of
baseball interest, in 1934 the
Boston Braves of
baseball's
National League played an exhibition game in St. Stephen against the local "
Kiwanis" team. The enthusiastic fans in attendance numbered more than half the town's population. In 1939, the local baseball team won its ninth consecutive New Brunswick senior championship, topping off a decade of dominance in the sport at both the provincial and
Maritime levels.
The town is also the home of Canada's smallest University called
St. Stephen's University.